15 March 2018 - 15:02,
in House To House
, Comments off
Affordable Home Décor Tips and Tricks
By Miki Bass, Chief Executive Officer of Arkansas REALTORS®
Decorating your home can be affordable and even free with a few tips and tricks I have gathered from experts. You don’t have to break the bank to give your home a fresh new feel. Let’s dive in to a few ideas to brighten your surroundings.
- Mirrors- Whether you find a bargain mirror at a flea market or yard sale, mirrors match ANYTHING, and brightens up ANY space. Using a mirror makes your space feel much bigger and more open.
- Pillows- You could have an old, plain couch and if you toss some pillows on there, it completely brightens up the entire space. Gather pillows from around the house and arrange them to add comfort and color. Choose pillows that have different patterns in complementary colors for a perfectly mismatched look.
- Kid’s Art- Instead of hiding away all of your kid’s masterpieces, put them on display in beautiful frames. There is always new art coming in to change up your gallery from time to time.
- Paint- Painting your walls is one of the most cost-effective decorative updates you can make to your home. You can save more and have more of an impact by just painting an accent wall.
- Candles- Candles look best when massed; the larger the surface, the larger the candles should be. Group four or five pillars of same colored candles with different heights in glass containers.
- Fixtures- Updating old fixtures is an easy way to make your home sparkle. Knobs, handles, drawer pulls, and light switch plates are small, inexpensive details that can give your home a high-end feel
- Greenery- Having plants in any room makes you feel more alive. Whether it’s fresh blooms from the grocery store or potted plants, sprinkling in greenery to your decor will give it a layer of texture that makes your home feel more livable. It has simple yet modern appeal. In your kitchen, add a small herb garden to your windowsill to add life to the room.
- Bring the outdoors in- If you see something outside that you love like a rock, a branch, etc. bring it home with you and use it to decorate. Use these creative finds as accent details.
- Art on the shoestring- An inexpensive piece of art can have the appearance of a masterpiece with oversize matting and framing. When surrounded by an eight-inch matt, a small print gains the presence of something valuable. Consider investing in original artwork by local artists and find out when they are having showings of original works at affordable prices.
- Finally- Shop your own home- Look around your own space and see if you can repurpose furniture. You probably have some accessories that you can use in a different place or for a different purpose. Use books as decor accents, switch up your lamp shades, recover old throw pillows, etc. The options are endless!
Contact Arkansas Realtors® or visit www.arkansasrealtors.com for more information about selling or buying a home in your area.
House to House is distributed weekly by the Arkansas REALTORS® Association. For more information on homeownership in Arkansas, readers may visit www.ArkansasRealtors.com.